Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cigar Box Guitar

Here's the result of my latest little mental lapse.

After hearing about and (occasionally) seeing videos of (CBG) Cigar Box guitars, I decided I'd have a go at making one of these great little beauties.

Born in the depression years in the US, the CBG was a dirt cheap way to make a fun little instrument that was surprisingly versatile and lent itself in particular to the raw blues genre.
Of course this music, acoustic or electric, spawned a huge lineage of bands and performers through to 60's Rock, Blues revivals, Festivals and recently to artists such as Sea-Sick Steve!

When I started researching this little project, particularly on Youtube I discovered a whole 'sub-culture' of makers, players, fans and events around the field of CBG's.  And I can't say thank you enough to all those people who shared ideas, advice and inspiration.
I've put a small selection on a Pinterest page here:

And if you're interested take a look at the result of my efforts here:



.

No comments: